Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Balance

The other day someone asked me how I'm doing besides politics. I had to think really hard. Besides politics? Uh.... who am I besides politics now? A week and a half ago, I was a whole person who had interests and slept well. Now I'm just in a constant state of worry.


Sunday evening I was looking for a way to relax and take my mind off things. I thought maybe I'd watch tv or Netflix for awhile. The first thing I browsed that looked good was "The People VS OJ Simpson." I decided that wouldn't be the best way to decompress so I instead started a movie about the Japanese tsunami. About three seconds into that, I remembered that I was trying to find some peace for my mind so I turned it off and read a book. The Girl on the Train - which was 100% not relaxing to read (but it was pretty good).

I'm not doing very well with self-care but I know I need to work on it. Here's a little brain storm:
  • Baths - (these are supposed to be relaxing, right? I'm not sure I buy it but I might try)
  • Naps
  • More humor, less fighting
  • Read books that don't fill me with anxiety (my friend suggested a book about ants - her dad's favorite book. That or War and Peace.)
  • Get a boyfriend (in brainstorming, there are no wrong answers)
  • Get a dog
  • Wait, I'm stuck on get a dog.... Should I?
  •  
  •  

I'm open to other ideas. Besides worrying about the state of the world, I'm pretty busy with work and school and trying to survive a sunless winter.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm just a real delight to be around right now. But I want to go from this:


and this:



To this:



 I feel better already.

2 comments:

violet50 said...

I agree that we have to tune out once in a while. Maybe try a Girl Named Zippy, or How to Talk Minnesotan. Oooorrrr drive to Minnesota with a zip-loc bag filled with something yummy. Other ideas: hot chocolate with some of your home-made marshmallows, an episode of Pete and Pete, etc., plan an overseas trip, etc. Anything to divert our attention from D.C.

Wee Sisters Three said...

I have been trying to get organized. That is something I can control which makes me feel better. I have been praing for the Government and President necause I sort of feel thats the only way I can help sometimes. I have been knitting scarves for the Refugees that my friend is taking to a Jewish Center in Ann Arbor this week. They are organizing help for Refugees here in Michigan. I have also ben doinbg a 31 day challenge through a group I joined. The month of January ( i'm going to keep going with it) we did something called 5 to thrive. 1.I wake up an hour earlier than normal so that I can have some time to myself and I do my workouts at this time. Other ideas: read scriptures, meditate, watch you tube videos of dogs being adorable. 2. Work out 30 minutes a day. This can be anything. Going for walks, cardio.etc. 3. drink half my weight in ounces of water daily. This makes me pee a TRILLION times a day but my digestion is great. 4. write down 10 things I am grateful for daily. 5. Give up one food category. I gave up Bread for the last 31 days. I fell off the wagon twice but got back on. I will still eat bread but just not eat as much as I used too.
Feeling more in control of my time, home and weight has helped me a lot this month. It would be nice if the sun would come out though Lol.