Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Mystery Machine

Last night I encountered a real mystery on Facebook. A friend posted a really strange status that I just had to get to the bottom of .....You know what? I just wrote a whole paragraph explaining what happened then deleted it because it's simply too convoluted and had a very anticlimactic ending. I don't want to put you through the emotional roller coaster I went through (though admittedly it was a kids coaster).

But suffice it to say, I was able to get to the bottom of it with the help of a friend who turned out to be an amazing sleuth. It got me thinking: Who would be my dream mystery team? If I had mysteries to solve on a regular basis, who would I want to solve them with?

If you could choose 5 people to be on your dream mystery team, who would they be?

After giving it a lot of thought, here's who I decided on:

Jessica Fletcher: This one is a no brainer. Jessica is the wisest woman ever to walk to face of the earth. Plus she makes amazing Maine specialty dishes. I feel like that could come in handy somehow. Not to mention that she knows someone in every town and city in the world. A classy lady with a ton of friends and a brilliant mind is my top pick for a mystery dream team.

Velma Dace Dinkley (yes that's her full name): I almost didn't include Velma on this list because she's constantly losing her glasses, but then it came to me: laser eye surgery!

Shawn Spencer: I realize Shawn isn't a real psychic, but he's incredibly observant. Plus, he's really funny.  And with his knowledge of pop culture, he's a MUST on this team. Oh, and his sleuthing skills of course.

Ms. Marple: No one knows human nature better than Ms. Marple. She notices everything, down to the little glances people give each other. Nothing gets past her. It's almost creepy now that I think about it.

Hercule Poirot:  Though condescending and French, I have to have him on my team. Yes it will be annoying when he throws around French phrases that most people won't understand, but in the end, he'll figure out whodunnit. (UPDATE: I've been reminded that he's Belgian, not French. But I'm leaving that part in there because he seems French and speaks French. Close enough.)

There are several people who almost made me list, but got cut for various reasons:

Burton Guster: I love Gus, so it was hard for me to leave him off the list, but though he's a fun side kick for Shawn, most of the time he doesn't do much mystery solving himself.

The rest of the Scooby Doo gang: I feel like Fred's ascot would be distracting. He is very handsome though, for a cartoon, so it was tempting to add him just for that. Scooby Doo doesn't do much at all and neither does Shaggy. I do love those two, but in a pinch, I'd rather they stayed home. Plus, we'd be spending all our money on Scooby Snacks just to get them to do the most basic of things. Daphne would just get caught in a trap and we'd spend all our time rescuing her.

Ok, now it's your turn. Who are they five you would choose for mystery dream team?

3 comments:

Savd said...

Oooo, I like that team! I'd have Castle, Joan Watson (Lucy Liu), Shawn & Gus, and myself...I love solving capers!

violet50 said...

While you're off sleuthing with your gang I'll be solving mysteries with mine: Henry Spencer - who taught Shawn all he knows, Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch or Johnny Lee Miller, Patrick Jane (The Mentalist), Monk, and Dr. Mark Sloan (Diagnosis Murder). May the best team win. My team has decided to start our detective work on the Riviera. A little sun and sand can't hurt.

Katherine said...

I'm super jealous of your dream team. They are amazing!! You'd be unstoppable!! I think that, if I can't have the same team as you (though I might steal one or two people) my team would be: Doctor Who (preferably in David Tennant form), DS Hathaway (from the "Inspector Lewis" BBC series), Agatha Christie ('cause why not have the woman who wrote great mysteries help solve them?), Shawn Spencer, and Neil Caffrey (from White Collar). Basically I've got the greatest sleuth-writing mastermind along with a lot of good-looking incredibly talented crime solvers. I like it. A lot. :D