Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wednesday Thoughts

Some of you may have seen this article on NPR yesterday about people surfing in the Great Lakes... in the winter! People are crazy. And here is the evidence:



All I know is this: when I am swimming in Lake Michigan in July, it's freezing.  I can't even imagine how cold Lake Superior (the deepest and most northern of the Great Lakes) is in the winter. And I never want to know.

Ludington State Park, Michigan

Now,  I love swimming in Lake Michigan in the summer months - it's one of my very favorite things to do in life. The waves are usually pretty gentle unless a storm is a brewin' in which case they go from gentle to super fun. I love floating on them and diving into them. I could stay out there in that water forever. Then at night when I'm laying in bed, I have that sensation that I'm still floating on a wave as I fall asleep - and I can't wait to go back the next day.

Ludington, Michigan - my happy place

However, getting used to the cold water that makes up Lake Michigan is another thing. Because I am not lying to you when I say it's cold. There are two ways you can get in:

Option #1. Run in as fast as you can, and as soon as it's deep enough, dive under. You are now acclimated.

Option #2. This option contains multiple steps and though it looks insane, is the choice of most swimmers:

1. Walk slowly into the lake, easing in gently.
2. Fold arms over chest, look back at people on beach and say, "it's cooooold!"
3. Yell at your friends who chose Option #1 to STOP splashing you!
4. Dread the part where the water reaches your crotchal region (medical term) because sister, it is going to be a jolt to the system.
5. Once the water gets closer to your chest, start talking yourself into just going under.
6. Resist.
7. At this point your friends should be taunting you, threatening to push you under. You can't fight it anymore. You must go under.
8. After submerging yourself, come back up as fast as possible and yell, "WHEW! That's COLD."
9. Swim around, happy and contented that you are now acclimated.
10. Have basically the best time of your life.

I can't wait for summer.

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

E McL said...

Yeah, I can just imagine! Upstate NY finger lakes. The pain. And no, I never got used to it, I just went numb! My dad only went to local fishing holes, when my mom invited him to Skaneateles. Mom forgot to warn him and he dove in. He told the story for years about how he felt like he dove into pavement. Thanks for the memories. I think I'm gonna drink some hot cocoa now :D

Dana Burnette said...

Hahahah, I love #3!! That's me yelling at Barry for like 20 minutes

violet50 said...

My dad said we just got used to it but I said that we were so numb that we just couldn't feel our extremities anymore and our heart started beating slower. I agree with all of your steps, especially "Resist". I'm good at that! I go to Ludington in my head when I'm going through something stressful, like the dentist. It is my happy place, too!

Katherine said...

YES! That's EXACTLY what it's like!!! Love it. And I LOOOOOOOOOVE Lake Michigan and Ludington!! Even the freezing water!

Brooke Romney said...

I heard it on NPR too and I thought, "Insane. If you like surfing, move to Cali." Wish I were crazy or brave enough to do something like that though ;).