Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Complexion Complex

Today I had lunch with one of my very best friends from high school. She is only in town for a few days and I rarely get to see her so it was a special treat! It was so good to see her - she is such a fun and genuine person and it's so easy to be around her, even after all these (five*) years apart since high school. The added bonus was that she brought her 17 month old baby with her and I got to meet him for the first time. He is such an adorable baby! He has those baby cheeks that you just can't stop touching! (I said the second half of that sentence in a baby voice in my head.)

In touching his cheeks repeatedly, I noticed something: babies are soft. Like, dang soft. I mentioned this to my friend and she said, "You should feel his butt!" We both agreed that might raise some eyes in the restaurant though, so I passed.

Anyway, I touched my own face after touching his - just to see the difference? It was like sand paper, people. Sand paper, I tell you. You know who I blame??

THE SUN

Yeah, that guy. I'm awful about wearing sun screen - I always forget. You would think that living in a state like Michigan, I would be spared the sun's abuse! But I guess it gets me in those short months it makes its face known.

I guess I can't blame it all on the sun. Part of it might be the fact that I'm aging. I mean, I have a birthday next week and, well, not to put too fine a point on it, but rest assured, I'm not 17 months old anymore.

I briefly thought about getting a chemical peel as I stroked the little guys face (I promise I didn't stroke it the whole meal - only like 75% of the time). A chemical peel is described this way by web md, by the way:

In this treatment, a chemical solution is applied to the skin, which makes it "blister" and eventually peel off. The new skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.

When you read that bit about the blistering and peeling off, did you make disgusted face? Cause I did. Also, when I read about the benefits on the website, they were mostly aesthetic (acne removal, scar removal, age spots, etc). I mean, smoothness is good. And less wrinkles? Sure. But blistering and peeling? Um, no. And plus, what's up with "usually smoother"!? Not good enough.

Oh well. If you need anything sanded, let me know.

*a little more than that.

4 comments:

violet50 said...

Yeah, I focused on the "usually" part, too. The other stuff didn't sound very good, either. I'm not 23 like you, but I wear my skin proudly. People can take it or leave it. That doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean.

Liz Hughes said...

Babies are soft.
If you're really interested in a chemical peel I know I guy who will see you in his back alley basement and throw some chemicals on your face for only half the price. Think about it. ;)

Katherine said...

A chemical peel sounds AWFUL!!!!!! No thanks. I love babies' soft skin!!! Makes them that much more lovable. :)

Angela said...

Have you considered any microdermabrasion face scrubs? They are reeeeally nice. I use one from clinique (no more than once a week b'c you simply do NOT want to overexfoliate, BELIEVE ME), but Mary Kay makes a good one, too. It helps to slough off dead/rough skin and smooth your lovely face up a bit... and be sure your moisturize e'er day!