Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Birthday Week (?)

In the last year or two I've noticed a phenomenon on a few of the blogs I read: "the birthday week." I'm not talking about having dinner with one friend for your birthday on Monday, then another on Thursday and jokingly calling it a birthday week. I'm talking about actually designating the whole week as your week.

It seems this is mostly a phenomenon for young married women with no kids*. Their husbands (and extended family and friends - but especially husbands) have to follow certain rules for the week that all fall under the umbrella of treating the woman like a princess. The woman can basically just say, "But you have to be nice to me - it's my birthday week." She can watch whatever she wants on tv, lounge as much as she wants, and just generally get spoiled. In one of the blogs the woman even got her husband to paint her toenails, in the name of the birthday week. It's sort of like Hanukkah, but without any religious significance - only in the sense that a gift is given every day of the week leading up to the main event.

I've seen this on a few blogs and maybe it's just these specific women who do it, I don't know. Have you guys ever seen this? Do you do it?

My birthday is Friday and I've been debating about whether or not I want to designate this my birthday week and demand things from people. I'm not a young married woman (I'm only 1/3 of those things) but I wouldn't mind a little princess treatment. IF I were to name this my birthday week here are the things I would expect:

* one cupcake per day
* a text message every day telling me one (to ten) thing(s) that's (are) wonderful about me
* spa day
* dinners at my favorite restaurants
* basically get my way all day every day
* a puppy
* a phone call from either Prince Harry or Justin Bieber
* snuggle a baby every day (until its diaper needs to be changed)
* shopping spree(s)

Oh no. I was completely kidding when I started the list but the more I listed, the better it sounded. You have just witnessed my transition from normal person to princess. Oh, but if I'm a princess, Prince Harry would be more inclined to date me (that was an actual thought I had - not a joke).

This post is scaring me.

I think I've made a decision: no birthday week. It's turning me into a monster. But let's be honest - no one would have honored any of that list anyway. At least this way it looks like it was my decision.

*Obviously I don't think that all young married women with no children do this. In fact, as far as I know, I don't know any personally who do. I've only read about it on blogs.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

I could text you nice stuff and maybe do the cupcake thing, but yeah, the rest I might not be able to do. Especially number 5. I'd love the puppy to happen! As long as you took care of everything and I just got to play with it and nuzzle it sometimes, of course! Same with the baby one... I like to drag my birthday out as long as I can, but I don't expect other people to treat me like a princess! Just like a duchess.

Cheeky Candid Contemplations said...

So my sister-in-law did that this year. She got so much stuff. Mostly he just took her to do cool things and bought her so much stuff that she wanted. I could get used to that (but don't know that I truly would if it happened). What is the hurt in trying? Maybe I will try it this year and see how many people I can get on board to treat me like a princess. :)

Faerie Eye said...

I know girls who claim a birthday MONTH. It is getting really crazy. I try to avoid my birthday as much as possible, I don't think I could handle 30 days of it! Saying that, I do love your list :)

Ben said...

Isabel seems to pull off a birthday cluster every year. We decided to celebrate her birthday a day or so early because of scheduling and then the next day we do something else we aren't able to do on her birthday, and then her actual birthday. Depending on how the scheduling goes, I think she's pulled off 4-5 days one year. She just keeps saying, "But it's my birthday" and I am helpless to deny. Whenever I try it though... she rebuts with, "It is NOT your birthday Ben!"

karajean said...

I really like birthdays, so sometimes I claim a weekend. All that means in reality, however, is that I let myself eat A LOT of junk food for 3 days straight.

I like your list though. I also like how you need multiple shopping sprees during birthday week. One is not enough!