Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday Thoughts

Today's only Wednesday? Seriously? Election day should count as two days. It sure felt like it.We survived it. The winners are trying not to look too smug today, and the losers are eating junk food and being straight up ticked off. It's an awkward day.

Obvious exceptions: those who are gloating, and those who are being poor losers. I've certainly seen both of those. But that's part of the process, I suppose.

Here's a picture of me right after I voted for Roseanne Barr* yesterday.


I think we've all had enough election talk, right? So how about I change the subject. Let's talk about something we can all agree on. This puppy is adorable:

(source)

Guys, I've realized lately that I'm getting a little older. It's crept up on me. Here are some of the clues I found to back this up:

  • I find myself absent-mindedly listening to classical music in the car sometimes lately. How did a classical station even get in my pre-sets?! Did I do that!? It scares me.
  • When I go to the vending machine at work I've started choosing a Hershey's with almonds instead of the more youthful choice of a Snickers or or Doritos. Ugh! Hershey's is an old person candy choice! What is happening!?!?!
  • When talking about what to get for my nephew for his 14th birthday, I heard myself say, "Who even knows what teenagers want!?" I'm so out of touch.
  • I don't know any of the names of the singers in One Direction. Is one of them Harry? Or maybe I'm thinking that because they're British and so is Harry Potter. They are British, right? 

Those closest to me would laugh at the idea that I'm getting mature and stodgy, so I won't try to convince you that is the case. In fact, the other day a good friend called me a "grown up little girl" after seeing my imitation of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz after he gets his joints oiled. But the changes are happening, and they're subtle. Not cool, aging. Not cool.

Moving on. It's still Wednesday? Whew! What a week.

Happy Wednesday.

*.... it's obvious that was a joke, right?

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Hee hee!! Man, this post made me chuckle. I've been listening to classical music since I was a teenager, so I'd take that off your list. Classical music is ageless. (I'm trying to pitch that to Classical music promoters as an ad campaign.) And in fairness, who EVER knew what to get a teenage boy for his birthday?? When I was 14 I didn't know what to get 14 year-old boys! Nirvana tapes? A flannel shirt? A poster of Alyssa Milano?

As for 1D (yeah, I'm that cool), I also only know Harry's name. Honestly, this is the only one on your list that REALLY makes me feel old. I heard about them late in the game, can't keep them straight, and may have referred to them as "those kids in that new boy band" on more than one occasion.

The good news? You look 24!! (And act 14...) ;) The bad news? You're definitely eating old people candy bars.

Katherine said...

I came back to look at the puppy picture again. It is SO ADORABLE!!!! Just wanted to comment again and say thanks for the does of adorableness. ;) Also, this day is going on FOR-E-VER.

elliespen said...

I do a pretty convincing Tin Man myself these days. I do know, however, that one of the members of One Direction is named Niall. I only remembered that because aside from my uncle he is the only person I've ever heard of with that name. And I want to say there's probably a Liam, too, because Liams seem to be just about as common as cell phones these days—everybody's got one.

But then I've also had a classical music station on my presets since I learned to drive, so I guess I really have no idea how old I am.

Christi said...

1. That puppy is the cutest thing I've ever seen.
2. I think one of their names is Harry. But maybe I think that for the same reason you do.
3. Hershey's with almonds is a timeless classic - you're fine.