Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday Thoughts

I feel like half the time I'm sitting at my desk at work, I have my ear buds in but nothing is playing. I put them in without thinking, because a lot of the time I'm listening to something. I just realized I've had an ear bud in my ear for I don't even know how long but haven't been listening to anything in quite awhile. Do you guys ever do that?

In other thoughts, yesterday I was listening to the radio and they were talking about the old band, The Cure. I've carried a secret with me through the nineties, the zeros, and now the tweens (2011/2012): I don't like the Cure. The only song I can half tolerate by them is "Friday, I'm in love" and even that I can only listen to all the way through once every 15 years or so.

And while we're on the subject, I also can't stand Smashing Pumpkins. At all. That voice! How!? How... ????? Anyway. To conclude I may as well make two more mini confessions: I'm ok with never hearing "somebody that I used to know" by Gotye, or that Call me Maybe song ever again.

Still friends?


In other music news, I hate to break it to you guys, but the Trololo guy died this week. The song though, will never die. Not if I have anything to say about it.



Lastly, I have to take my bike into the shop today. I'm nervous because even though I love my bike, I know very little about it. It gives, I take. That's the pattern with my bike and me. I don't know anything about bike maintenance. I'm nervous about the kinds of questions they're going to ask me about it. I'm picturing it going down like this:

Bike guy: So what kind of bike is it?
Me: The bike kind. Two wheels, etc.
BG: How old is it?
Me: I don't know. It's adopted.
BG: What's wrong with it?
Me: The back tire is... stuck.
BG: Bike lingo bike lingo bike lingo technical words axles spokes tires bike oil bike lingo rods bike.
Me: I'll give you a million dollars - just fix it please.

You guys, this might not go well!

Happy Wednesday.


5 comments:

Bingyu said...

oh my..see, that's why im more in tune with 'Michigangsters' (lol), Miami ppl LOVE that stupid 'call me maybe' song!! they even sing that at church - not as a musical number of course..ugh...am i judging a little bit?..all right..anyway, i love your thoughts~ :)

Katherine said...

I'm with you on the songs. And the Cure. I did like Smashing Pumpkins in the 90s, but that waned a bit after high school. I was SUPER sad about the Tololo guy dying. I was reading an article about him and WHY he sang the Trololos. Very interesting! Finally, I know SOME stuff about bikes, but not a ton. I think you'll be fine, though. Set up a mantra for yourself before you go in. Something like, "I won't spend more than $250" or "If I hear the word 'overhaul' I'm walking out." Good luck!

Unknown said...

I love the way you write. "90's zero's and tweens" You just make me happy every time I read your blog.

Mark said...

There are a few bands from my youth I liked back then, but am comfortable now with going 10 years between listens.

So as far as the Cure and Smashing Pumpkins go ... I told you so!

If bike tech talks about brake pads and tension rods, it's okay. If he mentions an exhaust manifold, drag your bike to another shop.

Unless he's really cute.

violet50 said...

I never noticed it before but the Trolololo guy (how many times do I write lo?) looks like an android - not quite human and not quite robot. He has a nice voice, though. If he were singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" (and was a human) I could have enjoyed his voice. RIP