Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Quotable

One of the things that makes me truly happy is spending time with my nieces and nephews. On Saturday I got to spend the whole day with three of them, and it was a super fun day. Because we (my sister, Katherine and I) knew we'd be baby-sitting the whole day, we decided to plan a fun activity. So we took the kids to Greenfield Village, and invited our mom and dad to come along too.

We split up into two cars on the way there, which is when I told Ethan about the train at Greenfield Village. He was extremely excited about it (he's six). The train turned out to be a bit loud for him (the train whistle, that is), but he still declared it his favorite thing at the end of the day.

The girls loved the carousel the most though. Samantha (four years old) wanted to sit in a booth on the 99 year old carousel instead of an animal, so I chose one that slowly rocked up and down so she'd at least have a little excitement. She declared it "soooo fun" and "faster than a motorcycle" and put her hands in the air to show her daring.


The rest of the day was very fun, and the kids made me laugh a lot. I thought I'd share with you some of their quotes that really made me laugh, along with some pictures that may or may not relate to the quotes, but are cute either way.


Me: "I used to love playing in the sandbox when I was a kid."
Samantha, looking genuinely shocked, "You were a kid???"
Paige to me: "She doesn't know that adults used to be kids."



Ethan, on the car ride to Greenfield Village: "When we get there, we should get to the train lickedy split."
Later, after I got turned around because of construction I said, "Well, that was a little frustrating but at least we didn't get too off course."
Ethan: "We should go to the train right away when we get there. That will help you feel better."



Kids: "Is it time for the carousel??"
Me: "Let's wait for grandma and grandpa to finish their lunch."
Samantha: "It's grandma and PAPA." (Correcting me.)



Me: "Samantha, you are so cute. Will you be my Valentine?"
Samantha: "No, I'm just a kid!!"
Me: "Do you know what a Valentine is?"
Samantha: "No."
Me: "It means I love you and think you're great."


I wonder what age I was when I stopped licking smiley faces into my ice cream cones? I better start doing that again. I'm pretty sure it increases ice cream enjoyment (according to my seven year old source).

3 comments:

violet50 said...

This is a great summary of the fun of the day. The quotes are great! I didn't know the thing about licking faces into ice cream cones. All those wasted years of normal cones.

Katherine said...

I agree with Mom! It was so fun! And those pictures and quotes really capture it. Good times!!! Those kids are so adorable!!!

Wee Sisters Three said...

I have been trying to send you a video sam and I made after I read her this blog post, but I can't figure out how.
They had so much fun. I know i've already said this, but thanks so much for taking them. You guys are so good to them. On the way home from school today they told me all about getting to ride in your cars. Paige said she got a little car sick and Ethan told me about you guys getting turned around and how it was alright because you have a cool car. :)
Those quotes are hilarious. Especially because I can hear them saying them in my head. Ethan saying "lickety split"., by the way, did he snap when he said it? He normally does. Lol.