Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Think of the happiest things

The weather this week has been glooooomy. Cold, melty, freezy, (I hope these technical terms don't confuse you), and gray. So gray. So I've been getting by by thinking about happy things. Here are some of the things that have gotten me happily through the last couple days.



1. The Cupcake Station. I know I made fun of cupcake places in a previous post, but I'll admit that I may have been wrong. The cupcake I had there was amazing. Plus, isn't this place cozy?

2. The cupcake. The PB&C (peanut butter and chocolate). Oh so good.

3. The snow is melting. Yes, it looks hideous at this stage but just think of it in human terms: it's pretty as a baby (freshly fallen snow), not so cute as an adolescent (melty, muddy snow) (not that adolescents are hideous, they're just...awkward...or at least, I was), then nice looking again as an adult (grass). Worst analogy ever? Possibly. You know what I'm trying to say though.

4. I almost got this book at Borders today: Marry Him, the case for settling for Mr. Good Enough. I didn't, because I was afraid of what I would do if I read it. 

5. I ordered a Whirley Pop popcorn popper. My friend Kate has one and it makes the best popcorn ever!

6. I also ordered this book, Swamplandia, which I've been wanting to check out and which I've heard good things about. I am so in the mood to sink my teeth into a good book (figuratively of course - cause otherwise that would be weird).

7. I ate at my favorite Japanese restaurant with my favorite Sofía (who also went with me to the Cupcake Station - what a friend)!

8. I lost my keys BUT, knew I had a spare set in my purse thanks to my little show and tell post the other day, AND my keys were rediscovered at Borders. So, it could have been a lot worse, right? All's well that ends well. 

What's making you happy today?

*Ten points to anyone who gets the title of this post. :)

15 comments:

Katherine said...

Hmmm....for me it's been mostly looking at fun pictures from past vacations/summers, eating good food, and listening to the Harry Potter books again. I love those books and Jim Dale!!

Kate Weber said...

What a fun post! It's always good to look at the happy things!

Today was happy because of karaoke, boyfriends, Disney movies, writing letters and blogs. I love it so much!

Amy m said...

Because I woke up without the help of my alarm clock, right around the time I would normally look over and think, "I should get out of bed about now."

Savd said...

PBC cupcake...my whole mouth is straining not to drool! And Totoro...yummmmmm-y! And Peter Pan?? :)

E McL said...

Yeah for Peter Pan days. Love your positive outlook.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Sarah, I'm so glad you're sticking with Savd, and yes, you and Lizzie were right - it's from Peter Pan. :)

Mark said...

Just the thought that Elizabeth might get #4 makes me happy today.

Let me know when you get around to reading it, and when you've finished, I've got the perfect guy for you. Well, a modestly suitable Mr. Okay.

Here's a hint: he looks like Jesus.

Heather said...

Great post. I wish you would reconsider reading Marry Him - Just because I want to know what is says.
(I also want to know how Swamplandia is!!)

Brian said...

Speaking of "what's making you happy," I'd like to thank you for a stray comment one time about the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast. I've been listening to it for a few weeks now and I loooooove it. It's become my second-highest priority among my podcasts, behind This American Life and before the Firewall and Iceberg podcast (TV critics Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg).

Also, on your recommendation I started watching Parks and Rec, and I love it! I watched all of season 2 first and have seen all of season 3 so far and last night I finished season 1. I was so excited to learn from the audio commentary that there's a website where you can download Mouse Rat's music for free. I'm rocking out right now to "The Pit."

http://www.scarecrowboat.com/downloads.shtml

Anne Elliot said...

So, I have to admit I was excited when I saw the picture of "Marry Him", because I thought you had read it and wanted to hear your thoughts. Then when you said you didn't I was a little disappointed/embarrassed. I read it and I actually liked it - not enough to buy it - I got it from the library. But it wasn't a complete waste of time - and there was a lot of truth in it. It's a lot more about about having realistic expectations and not so much about settling. I will add a word a warning, it can be a little depressing, so it might be a good thing to save for summer! :) Wow! Sorry for the book review comment. Definitely not a "featured comment"!

Wee Sisters Three said...

1.The show Scrubs and this quote from Janitor in his wedding vows, "I know that I'm weird, you know, but you'd be weird too if your mom aged backwards like mine did."
2.Finding crazy good coupons to clip.
3.Ethan telling me that Jesus is just trying to make me stronger when I looked out the window and the snow and the thought of having to shovel again.
4. McDonalds chocolate shake
5. All of the snow melting this afternoon
6. All the laundry being done.
7. Seeing how excited Paige is that she has a birthday party to go to tomorrow at the Community Pool.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Anne, I'm so glad you told me about the book! I feared it might be depressing, which is why I didn't buy it. I think I will read it at some point though - like you said, maybe this summer. :) And don't even worry about making the featured comments wall - i love any and ALL comments!!

Brian - SOOOO glad you're liking pop culture happy hour! I look forward to it so much every week. Next week they're on spring break and I'm so bummed!

Natasha and Jesse said...

It's from Peter Pan!

I get to see my parents in about two weeks. That's making me happy. And I went on a fun date tonight.

Sofi said...

Elizabeth! You are my favorite hermana! Just wanted you to know that. You are awesome... I want another CCC (chocolate cheesecake cupcake) :D

CB said...

I got a Whirly Pop for Christmas and it's the best Christmas present ever!