Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday Thoughts

As some of you know, I had a blind date this past weekend. Unfortunately, I can't get into the details of how things went because well, there's no mystery about who's writing this blog, is there? (Naming this blog after myself was not my most brilliant idea.)

Even though I can't tell you about that one, I've been on my fair share of blind dates in the past and have several more coming up this month. Blind dates are incredibly nerve wracking, to say the least: "is he going to look like his picture? is he cuter than me? what if he's a non-talker? what if I start monologuing? what if he's a serial killer?"

So I thought I'd come up with some rules for blind dates to save both you and me some pain in the future:

1. Try not to over think it. Your life was fine before you met your blind date and it will be fine afterward if things don't work out.

2. Don't wear your retainer all week in an effort to make your teeth extra straight for your date. It will just make you that much madder if things don't work out.

3. Come up with some topics to talk about beforehand so you don't panic and ask him how long he's had that mole.

4. Keep it light - no politics (unless you agree) or other controversial topics on the first date. You can surprise him with your crazy opinions on the second date. It will be more fun that way!

5. Wear your cutest outfit - you'll be more confident. But don't bother rushing home from work, re-washing your hair, re-blowing it out, and basically going all out for your blind date. Too much pressure. Try to look good, of course, but no need to spend 3 hours prepping for a blind date. (I mean, unless he looks really cute in his facebook pictures, of course.)

6. Even though the person who set you up just knows you're going to fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after, don't let it stress you out. (But I should warn you that it's very possible this is going to be your last chance at love so don't screw up! But no pressure! :))

7. Call your friends after the blind date and dish on every detail. Save up the funniest stories and tell them to me.

Do you have any blind date survival tips to add?

Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Oooh, those are some good tips! Really my only blind date rules have always been:
1. Don't go on them.
2. Repeat as needed.
It's worked pretty well for me so far, but then I'm still single, so... Maybe I'll give yours a swing!

elliespen said...

I don't have a whole lot of blind date experience, but talking about blind dates always reminds me of that scene in You've Got Mail where Meg Ryan's friends are trying to come up with reasons why her blind date didn't show, culminating with the helpful statement, "You are so lucky. You . . . could be dead."

Unknown said...

The only blind dates I ever went on was people I met online. No one ever set me up.

All I have to say is that I'm glad I'm not dating anymore lol. It pretty much SUCKS! Make you want to keep dating?

I thought you were going to rename your blog?!

violet50 said...

I dated a guy once who had a mole AND was a non-talker. At least he wasn't a serial killer. Wait, there was a news story last night...let me get back to you.

E McL said...

My folks met on a blind date... Dad was coming home from the Navy and his sister was my mom's co-worker. There are success stories:D

Sarah said...

I've always tried to remember that even tho the blind date didn't work out, maybe he has friends that would be perfect, so don't burn that bridge! :)

Mark said...

I had a blind date in college once. I went to pick up the girl at her dorm, and after looking me over, she sent another girl in her place. It would have worked, except halfway through dinner the substitute forgot she was pretending to be someone else and used her real name.

Survival tip: Be yourself. If you're not comfortable with that, then at least remove the nametag that says "Hi, my name is Elizabeth".

~ Malissa ~ said...

Ha ha on Kat! I've been on some fun Utah blind dates...I think Utah blind dates are different than most because it's never typical. Like going to the batting cages, miniature golfing, having your date's car locked up at the batting cages/miniature golfing spot because you went home fast to check on something and forgot that the place was closing in the next 5 seconds!! Going to a dance/concert/pool playing place. Tannen bike riding...you can't tell me you've done THOSE activities on a blind date!! I'm sure there are more extreme dates than this, but the more fun the activities, the more fun the date!